Year-End Computer Detox
This is another article that was suggested to me and that I found worthy sharing with my readers. Happy New Year and see you all again next week with a new post from yours truly.
–Comes January and everyone starts experiencing the after-effects of over-indulging. Your computer too feels the pain. Perhaps it isn’t so much Christmas wine and chocolate but the result of viruses, document hoarding and other accumulative hangovers. Detox your computer to get it working faster, safer and more efficiently.
- Clean it. Literally. You’ll be amazed what appears when you tip that keyboard upside down (only use anti-static wipes or a soft brush. NOT water!)
- Remove clutter, delete unwanted documents off the desktop and tidy up your folder structure
- Remove any programs that are no longer required
- Empty your recycle bin!
- Check that all necessary updates have been installed
- Is it time to look at upgrading to Microsoft Office 2010 or 365…?
- Update your security passwords!
- Double check your antivirus protection is up to date and won’t expire while you’re on holiday
- Make sure your firewall is active
- Perform a last minute virus scan – check out Spybot Search & Destroy
- Perform a disk cleanup and disk defragmentation (set this to run overnight as it may take several hours)
- Perform routine backups of all files and settings
- Archive files offsite
Computer systems vary. If you use an external IT provider to manage your computer requirements then liaise with them as to what they have planned and what you can carry out yourself. And remember… your computer needs a holiday too – make sure to shut down and turn off before you leave the office!